Breaking News

Rio 2016: Da Silva the toast of Brazil, Miller triumphs and Rudisha rules

Thiago Braz da Silva claimed a sensational gold medal for Brazil in the pole vault after Shaunae Miller won a dramatic 400 metre final and David Rudisha retained his 800m title in Rio on Monday.
Da Silva raised the bar and the roof on a pulsating night at the Olympic Stadium, dethroning France's Renaud Lavillenie late on day 10 and breaking the Games record in his homeland after a sustained downpour had forced the event and action on the track to be delayed.
The 22-year-old's heroics came soon after Miller stumbled over the line to take the women's 400m title for the Bahamas.
Allyson Felix looked set to win a fifth Olympic gold medal, but Miller fell forward across the line to ensure the American had to settle for silver on a dramatic night.
Miller's victory for the Bahamas, in a personal best time of 49.44 seconds, came after Kenyan Rudisha delivered another middle-distance masterclass to become the first man since New Zealander Peter Snell in 1964 to defend the 800m crown.
Ruth Jebet had earlier became the first Olympic champion for Bahrain by winning the women's 3000m steeplechase, while Jamaica's Veronica Campbell-Brown crashed out of the 200m after running half of her heat in the wrong lane.
HIGHLIGHT
Da Silva had the night of his life, taking 11 metres off his previous best. He became the first man in 32 years to win an Olympic athletics gold for Brazil thanks to his effort of 6.03 metres.
There was a huge roar after Lavillenie was unable to clear 6.08m and so won silver, with the fans who stayed to support their man rewarded royally.
RECORD-BREAKERS
Anita Wlodarczyk claimed gold in style, shattering her own world record with a huge throw of 82.29 metres in the hammer throw final with her third attempt.
Da Silva may not have broken the world record, but he could not care less as he reached new heights with an Olympic record in the pole vault.
QUOTES OF THE DAY
"We worked really hard for this moment - not for the gold but to take a medal. For Brazil, it is amazing. I try to do my best for the people, they believe in us. It's incredible. My first time over six metres. My home town wanted me to win," - an elated da Silva after his astonishing pole vault triumph.
"I've never done it before. I have some cuts and bruises, a few burns. It hurts. When I was on the ground I didn't know I'd won. I still don't know how it happened. What was in my mind was I had to get a gold medal. The next thing I was on the ground. It's an amazing feeling," - Miller reflects on an incredible end to the 400m final.
"After the world record I felt an explosion of happiness. This day is the best day of my life and I still fight to improve my result. It was my mum's birthday today so it is such a gift that she is here today," - Wlodarczyk after breaking the world record to win gold in the women's hammer.
"I didn't want to be a ballerina but I did ballet until I was 10. It's done a lot for me with exercising," - Sophie Hitchon after winning hammer bronze for Great Britain.
WHAT'S NEXT?
Usain Bolt will back on the track for the 200m heats on Tuesday, while Genzebe Dibaba is the favourite for 1500m gold and Christian Taylor will take some beating in the triple jump. The men's 110m hurdles final is the last event on the track, while men's high jump and women's discus medals will also be there for the taking.

No comments